
Neal and I were able to go with his Dad and Grandma to the BYU Football game tonight. It was a pretty enjoyable game all things considered, but left me with a few questions:
1- Why do people talk like women are the only ones with mood swings? The guy sitting in front of us probably experienced 50 different emotions during the four quarters of the game, while me, being an "emotional" woman, experienced one. While listening to his commentary of the game, I am almost certain he experienced some emotions psychologists haven't even been able to label yet. He would exclaim things such as "Put Lark in! Put ??? (??? being the 70 year old man inducted into the hall of fame, who undoubtedly could not even throw the ball at this point) in!" and then five seconds later be hugging his wife and saying things like "That was the greatest play EVER!"
2- Why is it that the extremely athletically challenged are always the ones to be yelling out instructions on how to win the game? (I will intentionally leave Neal out of this conversation, because he may or may not be a good example of this.) It cracks me up that 250 lb (not from muscle) men sitting to watch the games are ALWAYS the ones to be screaming out "how did you miss that? Really, you dropped the ball? Even I could have caught that pass!" or "Run the such-and-such play!" or my favorite "What are they doing in THAT formation?!" One time, I would like to see some of those men on the field and just try to catch the ball after someone just kicked it 54 and some odd yards, and don't forget about the fact that another 300 lb guy is running towards him. I would suggest 75% of those people could not even catch the ball, much less run it a yard, in the given circumstances.
3- Do people really think that by making the motion of throwing a flag and yelling out the name a penalty, the refs will automatically do the same? My second favorite guy (emotion man being my first favorite) at the game would stand up after almost every play and make the motion of pulling a flag out of his pocket and then scream out whatever he thought the penalty should be. He would then stand there a second or two waiting for the refs to do the same thing and then in frustration yell out the calls again. Occasionally, when the rules didn't match up, he yell something like "WHAT did you change the rule THIS year?" About 1% of the time, the refs would throw a flag and make the same call he did. I wonder if he will ever catch on to the fact that refs have a better view than his does...and actually know all the current rules of the games.
Obviously, football is a sport I hardly understand, but the behaviors it produces are quite entertaining to watch. :) Go BYU!!
I love the assessments! It is all too true! I've never understood making a fool out of yourself at a football game either, even if I think the refs should call something or am frustrated by the way some players are performing. I think it is better to keep it to yourself! But then, it wouldn't be as entertaining!
ReplyDelete