Monday, November 7, 2011

"The November Argument": An Anti November Listener Response

One of my friends posted on his blog this week about the continual argument of whether it is appropriate or not for people to listen to Christmas Music in November. This is a subject I have felt pretty passionate about for a while, in the opposition to Spencer's feelings and would like to make the following remarks in response:

Spencer points out that a lot of individuals who are opposed to such glad tidings being sung so early, dislike this simply because they are "skipping over" the all important holiday of Thanksgiving. He makes several fair suggestions to these individuals, such as changing the radio station (which I do - despite the fact that FM100.3 is one of my normal listening stations). He also points out that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of the one being that we should all be most grateful for. Again, Spencer has made a great point. For all those out there, that refuse to listen to Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving, simply to "protect" the sanctity and solidarity of the holiday, you have missed the point, and perhaps have a great task at hand. If you aren't supposed to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving because Thanksgiving is such an important holiday, you really ought to be creating songs to celebrate Thanksgiving with. I would propose something along the lines of resurrecting anything with the words "Gobble, Gobble" or "Pilgrim". Even Halloween has it's own songs, which is probably why people wait until AFTER Halloween to listen to Christmas music. There is much you could do to solve your own problem.

Despite the rationalism to all of Spencer's points, he failed to account for the following problem incurred for an  overly anxious/worried individual such as myself. To me, an individual who has flat out banned any Christmas music in the house until December 1st, with the obvious exception of Spencer's own Christmas Album (you can ask my husband this is true...he is lucky I didn't remember until now there was Christmas songs on his iPod....we'll have to fix that), Christmas music stands as a symbol of the impending snow storm that WILL come and WILL undoubtedly take the lives of every person on this earth that I ever met, in one fell swoop and leave me a half cripple to fend for myself in a lonely world.

Now, I understand this may seem to be an irrational thought, but this is truly the core of the problem. If every other Christmas song did not include "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow" or try to convince the naive and gullible that wonderful magical things happen if you can just find yourself in a "Winter Wonderland", one might be able to listen to Christmas music for more than a month. However, ever since I could drive, or knew that someone else in this world could drive, Christmas music has simply reminded me that it is going to snow and that I once again will spend a good three months of my life not only frozen, but also unable to make it from point A to point B without hyperventilating or squeezing my hand so hard I lose circulation.

One day, I may finally convince Neal to move to me a place where there is no snow, rain or construction, in which case I would love to "Jingle All the Way" through November but until that day, I will continue to plead with him and others to keep the listening of Christmas music to one solitary month for my own sanity.




3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh McKall. This is so great. I want you to refute all of my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha mckall you are so funny! i love reading your posts!I am also a firm follower of no christmas music till after thanksgiving. =) But i don't have the same fears as you. And if a snow storm did wipe out the earth, you would still have at least me and austin because we would have built a snow storm shelter before the storm and would be surviving quite well. you could come stay with us if you wanted =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria...your snow storm shelter sounds great. We will probably have to start living with you guys during the winters.

    Spencer...you're a champ!

    ReplyDelete